Search This Blog

Monday, June 30, 2014

My First Harvest! -- And CSA Week #3

Last week was very exciting as we are finally starting to get some veggies in our raised bed!  I am especially excited for the turnips and arugula because we started them from seed.  I have honestly never grown something from seed.  So amazing to see this itsy bitsy fleck because a giant leafy plant!  Also, my tomato plants are HUGE! Around 6 ft I would guess.  Each day when I go out there, I am stunned by how much they have grown.  My tomato cages are probably too small but I can't do anything about that now.  Just something to keep in mind for next year.  We have a few little green tomatoes but nothing ripe yet.

First I will show you some pictures of our CSA and my harvest.  Then there are 2 meals that I am very proud of at the bottom.  Enjoy!

CSA Week #3: Lettuce, Sugar Snap Peas, Cilantro, Strawberries, Garlic Scapes, Baby Turnips, Radishes, Mustard Greens and Fennel
Here is the line up of my herbs -- I had cilantro until this week when I needed to harvest is all since it bolted. -- Basil, Green Onions, Chives, Mint, Parsley, Thyme and Dill

First turnips!  Can't believe these were just little seeds at the beginning of May.  I pulled them early because I like both baby and regular turnips.

I also harvested a TON of arugula and our first peppers; Serrano and Banana


Now that I had all of this fabulous food, it was time to may something tasty with it.  The night I harvested all of the arugula, I just had to use it for dinner.  How neat to think that your food was in the ground only minutes before eating it!  Can't get much more fresh than that!   I made an arugula salad with roasted grape tomatoes topped with balsamic vinegar and olive oil and a side of burrata.  I made this again the next day and added roasted mushrooms as well which I really liked.  Now, sadly besides the arugula nothing else it local but I am going to make this all again soon when I can use my own tomatoes and make my own burrata.
Quick tangent...Burrata is unbelievable.  If you have never had it, PLEASE try it the next time you see it on a menu or at your grocery store.  Every time I eat it, I thank the cheese-gods for its existence.  It is seriously a religious experience for me.  Its super creamy curd stuffed inside a fresh mozzarella outside.  Just so decadent!  I got a cheese making kit for Christmas two years ago and haven't used it yet.  My hope is I can figure out how to make burrata instead of just ricotta and mozzarella separately.
Arugula with roasted tomatoes and burrata!

YAY!  Baby turnips!  That means I get to make my favorite recipe; Braised Baby Turnips.  I know I have posted this the last two years, but I have to post it again!  They are just so delicious. And the reason for the name of my blog.  I used both my turnips and the ones from the CSA.  The ones from the CSA seemed better for this since mine are really supposed to be picked when they are bigger but it was still good. Note: instead of herbed de provence, I always used thyme because I love the flavor and I can pick it fresh off my plant.

http://www.sassyradish.com/2008/06/braised-baby-turnips/

Braised Baby Turnips in olive oil and lemon juice

Our whole meal was Seared Scallops with Chimichurri, sauteed Boy Choy, braised Baby Turnips, Brazillian Cheese bread and cantaloupe.  For the Chimichurri, I used my whole cilantro plant because it started to bolt.  I love this sauce to brighten any meat, or mixed into cream cheese and smeared on a bagel.  The bok choy is sauteed with green onions from my garden and ginger in olive oil.  At the end I just added a splash of mirin, soy sauce and sesame oil.  Finally, I must mention the Brazilian Cheese bread.  I am obsessed with these little cheesy morsels!  They are actually frozen but they are from a small company in Neenah, WI.  I first tried them as a sample at the grocery store where I actually got to meet the owner.  She was so nice and her product was delicious!  Now, we always have a bag of these in the freezer.  They are a perfect companion to any meal that just needs "something else."  They also always seen to impress guests.  And one more plus, they are gluten free!

Chimichurri Recipe -->  http://eclecticrecipes.com/cilantro-chimichurri
Brazilian Bread -->  http://saborzan.com/
Sunday Dinner

No comments:

Post a Comment