Search This Blog

Friday, October 10, 2014

Baby Shower Part 2: Mason Jars and Ribbon

Well, one cannot live on assorted baked goods alone!  We also had to have a main dish and dessert at the shower.  Being that it was brunch and bunch of lovely ladies, quiche just seemed the most appropriate.

Soup, Salad, Fruit and 2 types of quiche


QUICHE
For the quiche, I again, wanted variety so I made 2 types; Spinach Mushroom and Tomato.  I used the same basic recipe but just changed the filling.  The recipe below only calls for spinach and shallots.  I like the addition of mushrooms just to add another dimension.  For the Tomato quiche, I omitted the spinach and added halved cherry tomatoes and julienne sun-dried tomatoes.  Just a caution on the recipe, it is written to make 2 quiches.  Also, I upped the amount of cheese because, ya know, we live in Wisconsin.

http://www.marthastewart.com/336904/spinach-and-gruyere-quiches#Favorite%20Quiche%20Recipes%7C/275606/quiche-recipes/@center/276953/brunch-recipes%7C336904


SWEET POTATO SOUP
My other co-host, Kelsey, brought this amazing soup to the shower.  It tasted rich but its actually good for you.  I loved the smokiness of the adobo and bacon.  She was also telling us that it can be made with squash instead of sweet potato, if desired.  I can' t wait to make some of this on a cold fall evening and cozy-up with a bowl on the couch.

http://www.plaidandpaleo.com/2013/10/paleo-spicy-sweet-potato-soup.html


Finally dessert!  A balancing act of cookies and crisps!  We decided to make the dessert the favor as well so I individually wrapped everything.

A tower of desserts -- crisps and cookies!


CRISPS
I got the idea to make the crisps in mason jars from a friend in Milwaukee that makes desserts in jars as a side job.  I thought they would be a perfect sweet fall-ish treat for everyone to bring home.  Plus fruit crisps are one of my favorite desserts.  :-)  To make crisps in jars, make sure to fill them up very full with the fruit filling because it will shrink after it bakes.

APPLE CRISP

2 lbs sliced apples
3/4 cup sugar
2 Tbsp flour

Topping:
1/4 cup oatmeal, uncooked
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup shortening
1/4 cup flour

Mix apples, sugar and flour together and put in a greased 9-inch pan.  Mix topping ingredients until crumbly, and spread over apples.  Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes


Cherry Crisp -- I used sliced almonds instead of slivered almonds



COOKIES
Cookies are my favorite dessert!  I actually have one everyday with my lunch.  I am assuming this is something I learned from my mom because we were never without cookies in our house.  Plus she is known for her Christmas cookies (she makes 12 different kinds!).  So naturally, the recipes I used where her's, though I am not sure where she got them from.  

OATMEAL RAISIN COOKIES

1 cup butter, softened
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
3 cups oats (quick or old fashioned, uncooked)
1 cup raisins

Heat oven to 350 degrees.  Beat together butter and sugars until creamy.  Add eggs and vanilla; beat well.  Add combined flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; mix well. Stir in oats and raisins; mix well.  Drop by rounded tablespoons onto ungreased cookie sheet.  Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown.  Cool 1 minute on cookie sheet; remove to wire rack. 


GIANT GINGER COOKIES -- I received several compliments on these cookies when I brought the leftovers to work.  They are actually my favorite :-)
4 1/2 cups flour
4 tsp ground ginger
2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups shortening
2 cups granulated sugar
2 eggs
1/2 cup molasses 
3/4 cup coarse sugar

In a medium mixing bowl stir together the flour, ginger, soda, cinnamon, cloves and salt.  Set aside.
In a large mixing bowl beat shortening until softened.  Gradually add the 2 cups of sugar; beat until fluffy.  Add eggs and molasses; beat well.  Add half of flour mixture; beat until combined.  Stir remaining flour in with a wooden spoon.
Using a 1/4 cup ice cream scoop, shape dough into 2-inch balls.  Roll in sugar.  Place on an ungreased cookie sheet about 2 1/2 inches apart.


Well, I must say the shower was a success and I loved throwing it!  I guess it is time to start thinking about the Annual Holiday Party!  Until then, I still have a few more weeks of the CSA and I will continue posting some of the things I have been made.  

No comments:

Post a Comment