Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Week # 5: A Week of Family

My family lives all across the country.  I have relatives in Oregon, Arizona, Maryland, Iowa, Washington, Utah, Delaware, Minnesota and Wisconsin (and more).  With that being said, we do not get to see each other very often.  Some people may find that very odd, but it is just the way I was raised.  I am not used to having family live close by or just drop in.  Though being spread out has its downsides, it also has its pluses.  First it means I get to travel to really cool places and usually stay for free with my own personal guide – and I have been doing this since I was very little.  Second, it means when we do get to see each other it’s a really big deal.  This week I got to hang out with my brothers, their wives and kids, along with 2 of my uncles and their families.  We all had such a great time catching up…and laughing.  Lots and lots of laughing.  J

Though my little family is just my husband, my dog and me, I do feel it is still a family.  And family dinners have always been important to me.  It’s a time to catch your breath, talk about your day and enjoy something together.  I find our little family dinners even more enjoyable when B and I both put in some labor and come out with something incredible.  Growing up, we almost always all ate together but Sundays were the big meal that you HAD to be home for.  No excuses.  I have discovered that B and I also end up having a bigger, more elaborate meal on Sundays.  I think just out of habit.  Below is one of those big meals.  They make so proud.  So satisfied.  And so happy.


Sunday Supper:
- Pork Chops (that Bryan butchered himself in a class at Underground Butcher) with a Brown Sugar Glaze
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/grilled-brown-sugar-pork-chops/
-Sauteed Zucchini (from the Farmer's Market) with Basil (from my garden) and dollops of Goat Cheese
-Roasted Baby Turnips (from my CSA) with Mustard Vinaigrette -- really liked this new recipe! I added thyme in the vinaigrette because I love the combo with the turnips
http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/roasted-baby-turnips-with-parsley-mustard-vinaigrette
- Lettuce Salad (from my CSA) with blue cheese and Champagne dressing
-And yes, B and I drink milk with our meals, just like our Mom's raised us to do  :-)

Sunday Supper


Roasted Turnips with Mustard Vinaigrette and Sauteed Zucchini 


Obviously, we can't eat those big dinner every night!  On the weeknights, we have stir fry.  Great way to use up a lot of veggies.  In this one we use Broccoli, Mushrooms, Napa Cabbage, and Green Onion.
A very green Stir fry

Finally, here is what we got this past week in the CSA!  Zucchini, Broccoli, Chard, Green Onions, Kohl Rabi, Beets, and Basil.  And a Giant bowl of potato chips! -- Just kidding.
Week #5
Stay warm this week with the Summer Polar Vortex....so strange!  Will be interesting to see what this does to our CSA the next couple weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment