Search This Blog

Thursday, July 5, 2012

Week 4: A Week Away + Week 5 Picture!

After 5 days of seeing and learning about the historic sites of our country, I am back!... To unbelievably unbearable heat.  UGH!  We live on the second story of a duplex with huge south facing windows and one very small window AC.  It is not pleasant.  I actually enjoyed being at work and in the car today just for the comfortable air.  I was quite surprised to come home and see that all of my plants are still thriving. (Thanks Kelsey!)  I was sure that with the heat and no rain they would be all dried up.  Luckily instead I come home to find about 10 tomatoes on my Sun Gold ready to be picked along with 1 orange pepper and a few jalapenos.  At least someone is enjoying this weather! 


Well, like I said last week, my friend ended up taking our CSA for the week.  She still needs to eat her beets and summer squash but here is what she made with the rest of the food.

Guac-
            3 avocados
            1-2 clove FRESH garlic*
            1 ½ tablespoons chopped cilantro*
            ¼ fresh lime squeezed
            1 minced garlic scape*
Salt to taste
            Pepper to taste
Mash together, use fork or whisk

Corn Salsa-
            1 bag frozen extra sweet niblet corn
            ½ can of black bean (rinsed)
            1-2 clove FRESH garlic*
            2 tablespoons chopped cilantro*
            ¼ cup green onion
            1 red pepper
            Salt to taste
            Pepper to taste
            1 minced garlic scape*
            ¼ fresh lime squeezed

Prepare together w/ corn frozen, place in fridge to “marinate”/ corn to thaw… usually eat next day.
          
          
Cold Spinach & Artichoke Dip
            1 package of cream cheese
            8 oz. sour cream
            1 cup of Parmesan cheese
            1 clove fresh garlic*
            1 bunch Spinach cooked & cooled*
            1 can artichoke quarters
            Salt/ pepper taste
Mix together serve with bread, carrots, crackers!
Link she tweaked but was inspired by:
http://www.loveveggiesandyoga.com/2011/11/spinach-artichoke-dip.html

 I also, gave her some strawberries I had left in the fridge.  She them toto make this! SO GOOD!! Next time pretzel crust, nommm
http://www.sohowsittaste.com/2012/05/no-bake-strawberry-icebox-cake.html



BOSTON
As for me...I was enjoying the wonders of the Atlantic Coast.  Even though Boston is not known to be a "Foodie City" we ate at some amazing places while we were there.  Overall, I fell in love with the city.  A different love than NYC.  A more realistic love.  I can picture myself there.  The people are very friendly (unless you are in a car) and things don't seem over-complicated.  I was kind of bad at remembering to take pictures of my food but here are a few.




 
We went to their Tuesday Farmers Market in Copley Square.  Very small vendor-wise but amazing raspberries!

The Boston Lobster Roll at Quincy Market.  Quite delicious!!  I was a little nervous because I don't love mayo but this was great.


At Island Creek Oyster Bar.  AMAZING!!  B and I were the crazy people that ordered 2 of every oyster on the menu...this means we had 28 oysters sitting in front of us.  They were all great -- which means for me they were all salty! 


I forgot to take a picture of our awesome food at this place, The Butcher Shop, but here are the menus.  Basically a carnivores haven.  We had a meat plate with some cheese to start.  For my entree I had the best homemade hot dog ever!
We had to end the vacation with a lobster dinner at the Atlantic Fish Co.  Seriously took him like 1.5 hours to eat this 2lb bad boy. 


Now, it looks like we didn't have any clam chowder when we were there...but don't you fret!  We had it at least 3 times.  Creamy deliciousness!


I highly recommend visiting Boston.  Just a really neat city filled with history, beautiful views, awesome people and some pretty good food.


Now on to Week 5!  Here is a picture of our box this week.


Sugar Snap Peas, Kale, Sweet Onions, Romaine Lettuce, Basil and Summer Squash

Doesn't look too shabby to me!!  We are starting to get into the high season which is so exciting!  Onions and lettuce every week.  Huge boxes of tomatoes.  Raspberries!  YAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment