Search This Blog

Friday, August 31, 2012

Week 11: Filling the Freezer and San Fran


Well, first off I feel I owe everyone an apology.  I had all intentions of writing an entry last week either on Tuesday night or on the way to San Fran but I just never did it.  I can only blame it on my own laziness.  On the plus-side this post will be extra long and filled with pictures!!

After coming home from San Fran, I realized just how much I love the CSA and how much I am reliant on it in the summer.  Since B and I were both going to be gone, we gave our food away last week.  When I came home Sunday night I opened a very sad, very barren fridge.  I decided it wasn't worth going to the grocery store since I knew I would just be getting more in a few days.  But those couple days were so hard!  I was like a lost puppy!  Luckily I did have a few tomatoes left that were still good so I used them for a BLT and Caprese salad for dinners, but still!  Like many things in life, you don't realize how much you rely on something until it is gone.  It also made me realize that my life is built around the CSA in the summers.  It has become a big part of my life.  I will be so sad once this season is done but luckily we still have 6 more weeks!

Green Beans:
I discovered this week that B is in love with green beans.  We had the largest bag of green beans I had ever seen and somehow he ate 95% of them in 3 days.  I was stunned.  Some of them he just steamed and topped with pepper.  But with most of them I tried to replicate a recipe from the Whole Foods salad bar.  They were quite delicious.  A little spice from red pepper flakes.  A little tang from vinegar.  The best part is beans absorb all of the vinegar so they are quite juicy.



B helping cut the beans.  Every once in a while I am lucky enough to have him join me in the kitchen.

Finished product.  They were best cold!

Corn:
Because we didn't have a lot of time to eat this week's CSA, we didn't get to have corn-on-the-cob.  Instead I made an awesome corn chowder.  It is so good, B and I just kept eating little bowls-full while it was cooling even though it was supposed to all go into the freezer.  Super creamy. Super sweet with just a little bit of spice.  I added a roasted poblano pepper and some red bell pepper for color.  Num!  Can't wait to eat this on some cold winter day with homemade popovers.


Freshly husked corn.  Quite pretty actually.
Chowder after boiling down for a little bit.
Tomatoes:
Again, since we only had a few days to eat everything, I had to make something that used A LOT of tomatoesI decided since I have made so much salsa, I needed something different.  This time I searched for the perfect fresh pasta sauce.  Last year I made a sauce where you roasted the tomatoes and then put them through a food mill.  I remember it being quite messy and a little frustrating so I decided to find a new one.  The recipe I used called for peeling and coring the tomatoes.  Then I had to chop the remaining and press the seeds and insides through a mesh colander for the juices.  With all of that being said I think this recipe was messier and more frustrating BUT it turned out wonderfully.  So if you have the time and patience, I recommend making it.  It tastes way better than the jarred stuff. 



Chopped, cored, juiced tomatoes

Finished sauce with the final ingredient....fresh basil

Broccoli:
I know I have said this before, but I will say it again.  Second best way to use up some veggies is a giant stir fry (with #1 best way being a big dinner with friends).  So Sunday night we did just that.  We made the biggest stir fry we could put together and topped it off with a red curry sauce from Trader Joe's.  We had never tried the sauce before.  I liked it quite a bit but I love curry.  I do prefer green though so next time I am going to search for it.  B thought it was a little too sweet but he doesn't love coconut milk.  Broccoli was one of our main ingredients along with many others. (see below).

Red Bell Pepper:
Pretty easy this week.  We added the pepper to the chowder, stir fry and the green beans.  Such an easy veggie to use. 

Onions:
I love onion.  Such a little thing but with so much punch!  We still have a few left but last week I put onion in the stir fry, chowder, and with the cucumbers in my normal salad.


Cooking up some veggies

Finished stir fry


Cucumber:
I was boring...I made the same old cucumber salad I always make.  The recipe should be back a few weeks on an older post.

My normal cucumber salad.  I would find a new one but I love this one so much.

Zucchini:
The shares of zucchini are finally starting to slow down.  This time I cut them the long way and we threw them on the grill.  After the picture below I topped them off with fresh shredded parma.  I also put a couple zucchini in the stir fry.  For some reason I have never thought of doing this in the past but it was great!  Not sure why I have never put them together in my head.  I guess I just don't think of Asian and zucchini in the same thought but now I have changed that.

Grilled Zucchini

SAN FRANCISCO!!

Last week I went to San Fran with my best friend to visit my sister-in-law.  We had a fabulous time!  A little time in Napa enjoying the sun and wine.  A little time in San Fran enjoying the sites and street food.  Below are some pictures from our trip...of course all food related.

View of the Bay Bridge and the city.  Looking over the farmer's market at the Ferry Building

Busy Saturday in the Ferry Building.  LOTS of food to try!
Nummy fresh CA raspberries.  SO good!
MMmm....Mexican on the sidewalk.  My favorite breakfast too.  Chilaquiles with guac and margaritas.
Fisherman's Wharf
Lots of crabs!!  A little fishy smelling.
A San Fran must!  Bay Shrimp and an Anchor beer on the sidewalk of Fisherman's Wharf. 
The best Irish Coffee ever!!

Beautiful scenery of Napa!  Just so breath-taking.
My favorite type of lunch.  Cheese, fruit, cured meat, wine and good friends!
We stayed in Yountville where French Laundry (a very very nice restaurant) is located.  This is their garden.
Beautiful tomato!  I have the same type on my deck.  Still haven't been able to get it to produce any fruit. 
Champagne tasting.  Great way to start the day!

Week 13!!
The farmers say this is the last really big week.  I think it will be pretty easy to use it all.  Especially since I have been going through withdrawals.

14 ears of corn, tomatillos, red peppers, jalapeno, raspberries (finally!), summer squash, tomatoes, green beans, carrots, broccoli and a cucumber.



Have a fabulous Labor Day weekend!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment